Salesians have been in Ecuador since January 1888 as a result of the agreement signed by Don Bosco and the representative of the Ecuadorian government in Turin (Italy) in 1887. The agreement entrusted Salesians with the Catholic Protectorate of Arts and Crafts in Quito, so that they could “transmit moral and scientific education to children as well as improve the national industry through the systematic teaching of crafts”.
Soon, the evangelical and educational work of Salesians spread to other cities in Ecuador, standing out was the Foundation of Missions in the Amazon (Oriente) in places like Gualaquiza (1893), Indanza ( 1914), Mendez (1915), Macas (1924), Sucua (1931) and Limón (1936). In education, works in Quito (1888) included the establishment of workshops in arts and crafts in the Catholic Protectorate; in Riobamba (1881) a primary school, workshops and a festive oratory were founded. In Cuenca, workshops and the festive oratory were started in 1893.
In Quito, in La Tola neighborhood (1896) mechanic workshops, carpentry workshops, a primary school and a church devoted to Maria Auxiliadora were opened. In Guayaquil (1904) the Domingo Santistevan Institute for orphans was founded with the sponsorship of the Beneficiary Group and in 1911, in the Centenario neighborhood the Cristobal Colon High School for humanistic education of the youth was established. In Manabi (1927) the Salesians were in charge of the Rocafuerte Community, where a primary school and a festive oratory were established.